Working together to address inequalities in older people’s oral health
On the 8th June, 2021, the British Society for Gerodontology and British Association for the Study of Community Dentistry co-hosted a webinar focusing on oral health of the older vulnerable person – something fundamental to the remit of both our societies, from a quality of life and dignity in care perspective. BSG and the BASCD have complementary and shared values in promoting oral health for vulnerable groups in society and tackling inequalities in health. BSG focuses efforts on older adults whilst BASCD covers the whole life course.
The webinar addressed three main themes
- population/evidence based approaches in addressing vulnerable older people’s oral health
- tackling inequalities in oral health affecting the older vulnerable adult
- development and improvement of services to meet the oral health needs of vulnerable older adults
Topics covered included
- Support for those who grieve
- England’s Adult Oral Health Oversight Group
- Oral health in: end-of-life patients & the hospice setting
- Oral health in care homes -research perspectives
The link to the recording of the session on YouTube is here.